The MLS* Teen Anime Club (aka MTAC) is an after-school teen social program devoted to otaku culture (manga, anime, and video games). The club meets every other Friday afternoon and take part in activities such as Otaku Pictionary, Video Game Jams, Otaku Cranium, Anime Screenings, Manga Drawing Jams, Otaku-related crafts, and more!

*Mississauga Library System


Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Anime North reviews


Review by Donald L.

Day 1: When I first got to the place, I waited about half an hour to get my pre-registration badge, then met up with my friends and then lined up for the dealer's room. I didn't buy anything, just wanted to see what they had. After about an hour, me and my friends just spent an hour walking around the parking lot/outside hall entrance area taking pictures of cosplayers. After that, I decided to volunteer, and I got placed at the Anime Skit Contest, so I practically had front seats the whole time! That was awesome. After that, me and my friends checked out the artist alley. There were many kinds of anime related artwork but no AKB48 related things! I bought a whole set of pins though, for a $1 each. After that, we ate and hung out in the lobby of the front entrance of the Toronto Convention Centre, that place was really nice and comfy to hang out! We went home around 11.

Day 2: I decided to not volunteer today and have as much fun as possible. I really wanted to go to Café Delish, but my friends wanted to go somewhere else and we missed it :( so I was really determined to go to Café Nocturne, which was in the evening. For the afternoon we went to a cosplay photography panel, and the Anime North idol finals. The idol finals was awesome, because we got front seats! After that, we just went around and took more photos again. I stumbled upon the Final Fantasy photo shoot group and they did poses from Final Fantasy VII-XIII, which was awesome. Eventually I got into Café Nocturne and although it was not what I expected, I made some friends so that made it worthwhile.

Day 3: I planned to get my hours to get my refunded membership today. I spent morning to afternoon volunteering. What really amused me was the manga library, where people were actually reading mangas like no tomorrow! I didn't read any so I was ready to find books people needed fast. My whole day was spent volunteering. When I had to wait for the lineup to get volunteer rewards/refunds, we had to wait about an hour because they were out of cash! It was agonizing waiting because my friends were waiting for me.

Awesome:
1. Cosplay was nice
2. Cafes were unique
Rants:
1. Frustating as heck to go back and forth to Doubletree Hotel and Toronto Convention Centre if you want to go somewhere/need something
2. Dealer's room on Saturday is insane, worse than Friday/Sunday, do not go there on Saturday
3. Volunteering coordination was not that organized
For future anime convention goers:
1. Bring a camera
2. Bring water/umbrella


Review by Rickaye C.
Whoot! Anime North was a blast, although it wasn't the best. The damp and humid weather kinda threw me off but either way it didn't stop me.
Friday wasn't so bad besides getting my cosplay dirty and waiting to get inside the dealers room, it was packed... and phooey I missed the nominoichi and I was so stoked for it, I guess I was to busy looking for my friends. Saturday was better due to the masquerade and all the cosplay photoshoots I was a part of. The masquerade was shorter this year but had very impressive novice entries and many were quite funny. After the masquerade I watched a bit of the 404's. TT.TT It was hilarious but seeing bright pink shiny speedos is one thing I don't ever want to see again. Uuurrrggghhh, I got to buy a few things on this day from the artist's alley, mostly keychains of Panty and Stocking along with DC characters. Sadly, no prints got my attention.
Sunday was kinda an off day...I went around as a hunter from Left 4 Dead and found myself with a pack, we walked around looking for more L4D cosplayers then strolled into the dealers room, it was just as hot but less packed. I ended up buying stuff for my family... I really don't know why. I stashed my purchases at the Doubletree with the rest of my stuff changed and just raved a bit outside before I had to leave.
Overall I was happy with the whole con weekend but once I got home everything caught up with me. I slept for God knows how long and ate like a starving man, that's what cons do to you, I guess.
I'm going through AN withdrawal right now but I'm getting ready for Fan Expo, I hope next year will be so much better.

No comments: